You are an organized person who likes to be at the heart of the action and have responsibilities… A dispatcher position is waiting for you!
The dispatcher assigns the routes by optimizing the performance of the routes and the drivers. In addition, they supervise the trips and act as a front-line advisor to the drivers. More specifically, they:
- Plan the routes and trip schedules
- Guide and supervise the drivers, find solutions to problems, and make the necessary arrangements in case of unforeseen events
- Select the necessary vehicles and equipment
- Assign the drivers for the trips to be made
- Provide the drivers with the necessary information and documents for the trips to be made
- Monitor compliance with the routes and trip schedules of the vehicles
- Monitor the drivers’ application of the rules and procedures established by the company
- Manage a large number of phone and radio exchanges
- Update the data concerning the trips made
- Check the documents used for the trips upon the driver’s return
- Acts as an interface between the school board transportation depatment and the school bus drivers
- AEC in multimodal transportation logistics (1,560 hours), which is offered exclusively at Cégep François-Xavier-Garneau, or DEC in transportation logistics (2,445 hours)
- Valid driver’s licence (class 5); bus class is an asset
- Sound knowledge of computers and tools (e.g. Office suite)
- Mastery of French and English, depending on the employer
Dispatcher positions are generally full-time permanent positions.
Usually daytime; possibility of evenings, depending on the employer.
Wages and benefits vary from one company to the next. Ranges from $35,000 to $60,000 per year.
Many employers offer continuing education.