You need to enable your cookies to buy on this website.

Frenquently asked questions

About jobs


Foreign workers



  • Foreign workers

    How can I exchange my foreign driver’s licence for a Quebec driver’s licence?

    The current foreign driver’s licence (class 5 in Quebec) is valid for the first 6 months of settling in Quebec.

    It is prohibited to drive the following vehicles with a foreign licence (even if the licence allows it):

    • a truck (1)
    • an emergency vehicle
    • a bus (2)
    • a minibus (4B)
    • a taxi

    For these vehicles, it is not possible to exchange the licence, and you will have to retake the tests to obtain a Quebec driver’s licence of the appropriate class. To do this, you must meet the obligations specific to each class of licence and submit to the gradual access to driving process.

    First, it is mandatory to obtain a class 5 driver’s licence. The foreign worker should therefore start the licence exchange process as soon as they settle in Quebec.

    Quebec has concluded Reciprocity Agreements or administrative agreements with other authorities to facilitate driver’s licence exchanges:

    • Germany and Austria
    • Belgium, France, and Switzerland
    • Great Britain: England, Wales, and Scotland
    • the Isle of Man
    • Northern Ireland
    • Japan
    • The Netherlands: Holland and the Dutch Antilles (Saint Martin, Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, and Sint Eustatius)
    • Republic of Korea (South Korea)
    • Taiwan




    Step 1 – Meet the following conditions:


    Be 16 years of age or older
    Hold a class 5 licence
    Reside in Quebec (have an address)
    Have permission to stay in Canada
    Step 2 – Make an appointment by phone with an agent Montréal region: (514) 954-7771
    Elsewhere (Quebec, Canada, United States): 1-888-356-6616


    Step 3 – Appear at the designated service point with the original documents requested when making the appointment


    Foreign driver’s licence
    Proof of Canadian citizenship or right of residence in Canada
    Proof of landing in Quebec
    Proof of residence in the country that issued the licence if obtained less than 3 years ago
    Translation of the driver’s licence
    Step 4 – Pay the required fees for the licence exchange


    $20.20 in 2019

    Credit cards not accepted

    If the SAAQ recognizes less than 24 months of driving experience, a probationary licence is issued for a period of 24 months (4 pts.).
  • Foreign workers

    What are the tax rates in Quebec and Canada?

    2019 federal tax table:

    Rate Income
    15% On the first level of taxable income of $47,630, plus
    20.5% On the next level of $47,629 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $47,630 and $95,259), plus
    26% On the next level of $52,408 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $95,259 and $147,667), plus
    29% On the next level of $62,704 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $147,667 and $210,371), plus
    33% On the portion of taxable income that exceeds $210,371.

    2019 provincial tax table:

    Rate Income
    15% $43,790 or less
    20% Greater than $43,790, but not exceeding $87,575
    24% Greater than $87,575, but not exceeding $106,555
    25.75% Greater than $106,555


    Other deductions are applied to a paycheque:

    At the federal level:

    • Employment insurance: 1.62% – for Quebec, 1.25%

    At the provincial level:

    • Quebec Pension Plan: rate of 5.55%
    • Quebec Parental Insurance Plan: rate of 0.736%
  • About jobs

    Can I drive a bus if I am under the age of 21?

    In Quebec, driving a heavy vehicle generally requires obtaining a class 1, 2, or 3 licence. Generally speaking, these classes permit the operation of most vehicles or road vehicle combinations with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 4,500 kg or more, as well as buses with more than 24 passengers. In Quebec, because of the conditions for access to driving, these classes can only be obtained starting from age 19 or 20.[1]

    In response to concerns from the trucking industry about their hiring, the Enriched Heavy Vehicle Driver Training Program (EHVDTP) aims to allow around 300 young drivers aged 17 and 18 to drive a class 1, 2, or 3 heavy vehicle. Candidates must participate in a suitable training program and take a supervised internship within a company promoting gradual employment integration. In short, this program allows young people to gain faster access to the road network safely while driving heavy vehicles.


    To be eligible, the student/participant must:

    1. Be aged 17 or 18 at the start of the program;
    2. Hold a class 5 probationary licence;
    3. Have a driving record at the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) without any demerit points or driver’s licence suspensions or revocations in the past two years at the start of the program;
    4. Meet the eligibility criteria for the Truck Transport or Bus Driving vocational training programs (school board);
    5. Have an internship promise from a company eligible for the EHVDTP;
    6. Attend an information meeting;
    7. Meet the medical requirements to drive a heavy vehicle (SAAQ);
    8. Authorize the communication of personal information between the SAAQ, the company where they are doing their internship, and the school board in order to facilitate the evaluation of the EHVDTP as well as the related administrative activities.

    Please communicate directly with the transport training centres designated by the EHVDTP:

    Centre de formation en transport de Charlesbourg
    René Tremblay
    (418) 634-5580, ext. 3599

    Centre de formation en transport routier de Saint-Jérôme
    René Labrie
    (450) 435-0167, ext. 7144

    [1] Evaluation Framework: Enriched Heavy Vehicle Driver Training Program (EHVDTP), August 2016, by Véronique Bélanger and Ann Paquet